The Pope and Islam
Here is a recent news story that was on National Public Radio’s (NPR) All Things Considered:
September 26, 2006 · One of the leading opera houses in
The production of the opera Idomeneo features a scene in which a character presents the severed heads of religious leaders -- including Jesus, the Buddha and Muhammad.
The Deutsche Oper in
I know nothing about the opera. I don’t even like opera. From what I know of what passes for art these days, I probably would find this play offensive as well. However, I am amazed that it is okay to offend anyone these days except for Muslims.
My heart and prayer is that we will see many Muslims come to know the grace of God. So, as Christians, we need to bend over backwards not to give offense. What do we have to gain by being offensive? I will write another post on what it means for Evangelical, Bible-believing Christians to be tolerant. It is both unchristian and unwise to give needless offense. However, that is not my subject here. Rather, my concern is how the media seems to believe that those who offend Muslims are culpable for the violence of Islamic extremists rather than calling to account those who actually commit the crimes.
In a speech on September 12, 2006, Pope Benedict quoted a work from Professor Theodore Khoury, that itself was quoting the 14th century Byzantine emperor Manuel II Paleologus, saying, “"Show me just what Mohammed brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached".
In response to these comments, some Muslims throughout the world demanded an apology, others marched in protest, still others burned the Pope in effigy and Al Qaeda has issued threats against his life. There are even reports of bombings and other acts of violence in response to the Pope’s speech.
Somehow, all news reports seem to miss the irony here. Muslims are mad that the Pope quoted someone as saying that Islam is violent. So, to show their displeasure over being called violent, they threaten to kill him. Does that make sense?
Some would have us walk so circumspectly that we cannot say anything for fear of setting off the Islamic extremists. If someone accidentally does offend them, then it is not the terrorists who are guilty of the violence, but the person who said the offending words. That is like saying the abused wife is at fault for saying something that angered her husband, or that the girl who was sexually assaulted is guilty because she dressed too provocatively.
We have been hearing the same logic for the past few days on the news in regard to President Bush. News reports are saying that President Bush is responsible for an increase in terrorism because he actually is trying to bring the terrorists to justice. I realize that there are many Christians who believe that the invasion of
The prevailing attitude today seems to be that we should do all that we can to appease the extremists. Didn’t Neville Chamberlain try that with Hitler? That didn’t work out too well. You cannot appease evil. For more on that, read C. S. Lewis' Perelandra.
Still, I would argue that there is a difference between what governments are responsible to do in protecting its citizens and what Christians must do in fulfilling our mission. Governments cannot engage in appeasement. That is irresponsible. However, Christians must remember that our goal is not to protect our rights or our livelihood, but to take the blessings of Christ’s kingdom to the uttermost parts of the earth. Our passion is to see Christ worshipped in every land. We want Muslims throughout the world to come to know the love and grace of our Lord. We will gladly give up our rights to that end.
Some Christians have defended the Pope’s remarks by saying that Muslims have done and said far more offensive things about Christianity and even Jesus Christ than the Pope said about Mohammed. Others will point out that there is no outcry from the media when Christian sensibilities are offended through things such as Martin Scorcese’s The Last Temptation of Christ, or Andres Sorrano’s blasphemous Piss Christ. That argument misses the point. Does it really matter that Muslims have offended us? Besides, my sins against my Savior have been far more blasphemous than anything
We must remember that Muslims are not our enemies, nor are liberals,
All of this reminds me of the classic 19th century hymn Lead on, O King Eternal
Lead on, O King eternal,
Till sin’s fierce war shall cease,
And holiness shall whisper
The sweet amen of peace.
For not with swords’ loud clashing,
Nor roll of stirring drums;
With deeds of love and mercy
The heavenly kingdom comes.
Labels: Culture

3 Comments:
"I know nothing about the opera. I don’t even like opera. From what I know of what passes for art these days, I probably would find this play offensive as well."
Idomeneo is an early opera by Mozart (well, the music anyway; the libretto was by someone else), but the business about the severed heads of Jesus, Mohammed, and Buddha is a modern interpolation into the original text/score. The original story was mythological in character and dealt only with the Greek pantheon, not later religious figures.
"However, I am amazed that it is okay to offend anyone these days except for Muslims."
It sounds like the opera company was scared away from the production by an anonymous threat of violence rather than concerns about political correctness.
Yes, it is true that the opera house withdrew the production out of fear rather than a desire for political correctness. In fact, they are catching quite a bit of heat for it. Their new critics are saying the same thing that I try to say here. So, while not universally held, I still think the prevailing philosophy is one of appeasement.
I just found your blog, Mark, and have been reading it for the past hour! What insight it has given me and I am thankful to be able to read about relevant topics any day of the week! (Was also thrilled to go back in your blog and read about your wonderful trip to my daughter and son-in-law's cabin in NC!)
Post a Comment
<< Home