Young, Restless, Reformed
Last night, we had a gathering of elders at Orangewood Presbyterian Church (the church that gave birth to UPC). It was such a joy to see friends (both ruling elders, pastors, and those serving us) from so many different churches. I have to say, we have a great presbytery. I say that because we have a presbytery where the churches genuinely want each other to do well. I realize that is the way it should be, but that is not always the way that it is every where. Often churches (i. e. pastors) are jealous and critical of each other. Not in Central Florida. I honestly believe that every elder there is hoping and praying that the other churches in the room will thrive. We delight in each other's successes, even when we are facing hard times. That is how it should be.
I had the opportunity to explain our church planting vision, but the highlights were a) the worship, and b) Ray Cortese, pastor of Seven Rivers Presbyterian Church (and who is probably the best preacher/leader combo in the PCA), explaining how the gospel changes churches. Unfortunately, I don't think the message was recorded. If I find it that it was, I will post the link here.
Ray handed out an article from Christianity Today entitled Young, Restless, Reformed. It is a very interesting article. I think it is particularly provacative for those of us who are concerned that our desire for cultural relevance has degenerated into consumerism. As a result, doctrine is no longer being taught. If you have been living in fear that young people don't want doctrine, you have to read this article.
Another thing the article shows us is the great debt that we as modern Reformed people owe to John Piper. I will freely admit to being a Piper groupie. Desiring God is one of my favorite books of all-time. Piper has done more than any other preacher/writer to spread the news of winsome, joyful Reformed theology. Reading Piper drives you to worship. That is a sign of good theology.
The article also reminds us of the tremendous debt we owe to Jonathan Edwards and the Puritans. People often dismiss Reformed Theology as being dry and heartless. To that I can only say read Edwards, Spurgeon (technically, not a Puritan), Walter Marshall, and John Owen. Granted, Marshall, Owen and friends are not easy reading, but much (not all!) of Edwards is delightfully accessible. The good news is, you can even read some of them for free at the Christian Classic Ethereal Library.
If Edwards and Spurgeon seem to archaic, then there are some delightful "modern Puritans". Among them, of course, is John Piper. I would also put J. I. Packer and Sinclair Ferguson in this category.
Back to my point -- I find it very encouraging that young people are attracted to the beauty of Reformed theology while rejecting the arrogant/antagonism of the old Reformed culture. This gives me great hope for the future of the church as well as hope that my own children will grow up to find other Christians their age who want to know the riches of theology without rejecting the mission of reaching the culture.
I had the opportunity to explain our church planting vision, but the highlights were a) the worship, and b) Ray Cortese, pastor of Seven Rivers Presbyterian Church (and who is probably the best preacher/leader combo in the PCA), explaining how the gospel changes churches. Unfortunately, I don't think the message was recorded. If I find it that it was, I will post the link here.
Ray handed out an article from Christianity Today entitled Young, Restless, Reformed. It is a very interesting article. I think it is particularly provacative for those of us who are concerned that our desire for cultural relevance has degenerated into consumerism. As a result, doctrine is no longer being taught. If you have been living in fear that young people don't want doctrine, you have to read this article.
Another thing the article shows us is the great debt that we as modern Reformed people owe to John Piper. I will freely admit to being a Piper groupie. Desiring God is one of my favorite books of all-time. Piper has done more than any other preacher/writer to spread the news of winsome, joyful Reformed theology. Reading Piper drives you to worship. That is a sign of good theology.
The article also reminds us of the tremendous debt we owe to Jonathan Edwards and the Puritans. People often dismiss Reformed Theology as being dry and heartless. To that I can only say read Edwards, Spurgeon (technically, not a Puritan), Walter Marshall, and John Owen. Granted, Marshall, Owen and friends are not easy reading, but much (not all!) of Edwards is delightfully accessible. The good news is, you can even read some of them for free at the Christian Classic Ethereal Library.
If Edwards and Spurgeon seem to archaic, then there are some delightful "modern Puritans". Among them, of course, is John Piper. I would also put J. I. Packer and Sinclair Ferguson in this category.
Back to my point -- I find it very encouraging that young people are attracted to the beauty of Reformed theology while rejecting the arrogant/antagonism of the old Reformed culture. This gives me great hope for the future of the church as well as hope that my own children will grow up to find other Christians their age who want to know the riches of theology without rejecting the mission of reaching the culture.
Labels: Bible Study, Ministry, Theology


4 Comments:
Your point: "I find it very encouraging that young people are attracted to the beauty of Reformed theology while rejecting the arrogant/antagonism of the old Reformed culture." But I would note that the article says (emphasis mine), "The young people I talked to want churches to risk disagreement so they can benefit from the deeper challenges of doctrine." IME, there are still a lot of "gun-slinging Calvinists" (like I used to be) out there who are vociferous and rather intransigent in their theological opinions. Some of them are perhaps from a previous generation than the one this article is talking about, but if the young folks' diet consists of thinkers from the Reformed tradition (including Sproul), ISTM that it will likely be hard to break them of their doctrinal-high-ground, non-humble attitudes. (The cure for me was Richard Pratt and John Frame in Intro. to Pastoral Studies at RTS several years ago. Understanding the implications of semper reformanda really did change my life and the way I think.)
Also, some of Jonathan Edwards' other works are also available online at other sites such as A Puritan's Mind and at the Jonathan Edwards Center at Yale. Edwards' Charity and Its Fruits -- 16 sermons on the "love chapter," 1 Corinthians 13, which are not included in his two-volume Works but which can be found at the bottom of this page -- is one of my favorite books of all time. The language is a bit antiquated, but the work invested pays handsomely in the end IME. For some laughs, check out the MP3s of a number of Edwards', Owen's, Calvin's, Augustine's, and Hodge's books that can be found here, but don't get your hopes up (only a nerd like me would have anyway!) because these are just the texts fed through a text-to-voice program. It is quite lacking in naturalness in its delivery, and actually, it sounds like the same program that Ande's Monk-e-mail uses.
Matthew, Good points, as always. We in the Reformed camp will always have to deal with the "gunslinger" types. I guess I took the part about being willing to risk disagreement as more of a positive. I read it as saying that they did not want churches to avoid controversy by going for "Doctrine lite".
You are right in noting that we have truly been blessed by men like Dr. Frame and Dr. Pratt. They have led the way in showing that you can be theologically rigorous without sacrificing charity. In my days in seminary, another professor who modeled that was Dr. Doug Kelly. He often told us of his experience in discipling a fellow pastor in South Carolina. He never used the Reformed verbage, but just taught him the Scriptures. By the time he was through, the fellow pastor was thoroughly reformed, but never knew it.
Mark: I just got onto your blog. good work. I have got to say that I am on the other side of the fence when it comes to dividing lines of theology. With all due respect, it seems to me that those that adhere to a reformed faith seem to promote that over the central message of the gospel...or so it seems to me. Yes, I will say that it is to the point that with some at least, I will not even discuss theology due to this. reality.
Now I realize that one may say that highlighting the central message of the gospel is discussing good theology. Maybe. Sometimes in the reformed camp it does not seem so. But as cool Christian guys and pastors go..you are tops! Thoughts?
Bob,
Thanks for the post. I think ou are echoing a lot of what Matthew says above. Clearly, we in the Reformed Camp have our share of obnoxious theologs. Of course, I have received similar treatment from people on the other side of different theological issues. I had a professor in college who called Amillennialists liberals and heard others brand Calvinism as "FIve modern day heresies".
However, let's not throw out the Baby with the bath. The more we understand about the character of God and His way of bringing about our salvation, the more we will worship God in spirit and in truth.
Theology can either be used as a dividing point and a weapon, or it can be used to enhance our worship, to inspire us to our mission, and to walk with confidence.
For example, Reformed theology, propery understood, should lead to greater humility as we understand that God's grace is more amazing than we thought. Understanding God's sovereignty should give us greater confidence when we face trials and hardship (see Joni Erickson Tada's book on suffering for a great example of this). It should lead us to greater missionary zeal (see Calvin sending the missionaries into France to face martyrdom, or see William Carey, Adonirum Judson, Whitefield, Edwards, Spurgeon, etc.. I think our denomination's own track record in missions and evangelism is worth highlighting as well.
So, while I agree that some (many?) in the Reformed camp have used theology to bludgeon their brothers, I don't think ignoring it would be the proper course.
Actually, my desire for people to learn theology really goes much deeper. I want them to be theologically and biblically literate so that they worship with greater zeal, repent more deeply, and serve more passionately. Obviously, knowledge alone doesn't promote godliness. However, the history of the church is littered with the damage of ignorance.
However, I understand your feelings about people in the Reformed camp. Those of us in the Reformed camp are often embarassed by them as well. That is why, as I stated earlier, I am excited to have some current Reformed leader who also have a passion for mission, a love for the broader body of Christ, and charity in their interactions with those who differ.
Post a Comment
<< Home