Certain Hope

Ramblings and Writings of Mark Bates, Senior Pastor of University Presbyterian Church, Orlando.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Mountains


Our family went on vacation a couple of weeks ago. We have a friend in the church who has a daughter who owns a cabin in Blue Ridge, Georgia. We were able to rent that for a week. Blue Ridge is a remote town in the North Georgia foothills/mountains. For those who know the region, it is about 45 minutes west/northwest of Amicalola Falls (seen in this picture).

I love being on family vacation because it is a time when I get to enjoy my family without any distractions. No one has to run off to a meeting, tennis lessons, piano, Bible study, etc... There is no home work. The phone doesn't ring. We simply enjoy one other.

I know for some families, being all alone miles and miles from anything could be a nightmare, but, for our family, it is a treasure. My girls are usually glad to get home and see their friends, but I love having a week of their undivided attention. We play lots of cards and games, go on some excursions, do a little reading, and sleep really late.

Another reason I love vacation is because I love mountains. The beach is fine, but everybody knows that the mountains are more spiritual. Over and over, the Bible talks about the mountains in glowing terms. Sand, on the other hand, isn't that where the foolish man builds his house (Matt. 7:26)? The godly go to the mountains. The rest of you go to the beach!
So, give me mountains over the beach any day. Rockies or Appalachians--it doesn't matter. I always feel closer to God in the mountains.

In all seriousness, I do feel closer to God in the mountains. There is something about their grandeur and serenity, their beauty and their might. In the mountains (especially in the Rockies), the terrain is both severe and lovely. You have to respect the mountains, even fear them, because the mountains can be dangerous. In this way, the mountains reflect their Maker. God is lovely, but He is anything but safe.

I do not understand how anyone can see the beauty of the mountains and not believe in a Creator. If there is no Creator, then the mountains are merely a disruption of the earth's crust, a geophysical wrinkle, a planetary blemish. If there is no Creator, then the beauty of the earth is nothing more than a cosmic accident.

By the same token, I am amazed at how I can see the beauty of creation and yet not marvel at it. Every time a see a mountain stream or scenic vista, it takes my breath away. However, I wonder if I saw it everyday if I would stop marveling. After all, everyday, I see the majesty of God's world and rarely pause to meditate on it. Even though I live in the suburbs, everyday I see Great Blue Herons, Osprey, Sand Hill Cranes, and experience amazing thunderstorms (which I also love). I can see those today and not even marvel at their majesty. God's creation is literally shouting out to me, and I often turn a deaf ear.

All this to say, as much as I love the mountains, as much as they rejuvenate me physically and spiritually, God has given me the gift of His creation right here--even in suburban Orlando. While I don't think I will ever grow tired of going to the mountains, I don't need to drive 500 miles to see the grandeur of creation. Sometimes, even in the middle of suburbia, all I need to do is look out the window.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home