Certain Hope

Ramblings and Writings of Mark Bates, Senior Pastor of University Presbyterian Church, Orlando.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Footnotes on Esther

In preaching, I am never quite sure how to give credit to sources that influence my thinking on a particular topic. Sometimes I mention them. Other times, that seems to get in the way. I always footnote in my notes, but nobody ever sees those notes but me. There are people I listen to or read regularly that influence my preaching a great deal. Among these are John Piper, Tim Keller, Bryan Chapell, J. I. Packer, John Calvin, etc... and, of course, whatever books and articles I happen to be reading.

Also, when studying through a book of the Bible, I consult several commentaries, but usually find two or three that I follow fairly closely. For Esther, the commentaries that are influencing me the most are The NIV Application Commentary on Esther by Karen H. Jobes. The other is Esther by Joyce G. Baldwin in the Tyndale Old Testament Commentaries. Both are extremely readable and are written with the layperson in mind.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

consider adding the footnotes on the podcast post (not the audio, the text post part)

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, what Rob said.

1:08 AM  
Blogger M. Flexibilis said...

I have a one-hour lecture by Karen Jobes on Esther that was pretty good (well, the content was good, but her presentation was rather dry). I could hear the echoes in your sermon. :-)

10:19 AM  
Blogger Mark Bates said...

Matthew,
If you read Jobes, you will hear echoes of Baldwin. Alas, there is nothing new under the sun. As the series continues, you will hear even more echoes as I deconstruct the popular view of Esther. I must say, I really enjoyed reading Jobes, though. Now that I have confessed to depending heavily on her and Baldwin, no one can accuse me of plagarism!!

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home