Religion and Politics (Again)
Dr. Sean Lucas, church history professor at Covenant Theological Seminary, has a series of posts on the relationship between Christianity and Politics. All of the posts are very interesting. However, if you want to get to the bottom line, simply read the third one, God and Country American Style, No. 3. In this post, Dr. Lucas helps us navigate the challenge of applying a biblical worldview to politics by pointing us to our heritage. Specifically, he gives us a model in the old Southern Presbyterians.
I have to be honest, I never thought much of the Southern Presbyterian approach to politics. I always understood their doctrine of "The Spirituality of the Church" as being an excuse for their failure to address the horrors of slavery--one of the greatest stains on our church. Perhaps that was the case. However, Dr. Lucas shows that the Southern Presbyterian approach can be a way to engage the culture from a biblical worldview.
I have to be honest, I never thought much of the Southern Presbyterian approach to politics. I always understood their doctrine of "The Spirituality of the Church" as being an excuse for their failure to address the horrors of slavery--one of the greatest stains on our church. Perhaps that was the case. However, Dr. Lucas shows that the Southern Presbyterian approach can be a way to engage the culture from a biblical worldview.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home