Certain Hope

Ramblings and Writings of Mark Bates, Senior Pastor of University Presbyterian Church, Orlando.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States

Monday, April 09, 2007

Musings on Easter Sunday and Other Stuff

  • The Worship Team's gospel rendition of Christ the Lord is Risen Today was truly amazing. It hit all the right notes for Easter Sunday--celebrative, victorious, joyous, and worshipful.
  • E. V. Hill's It's Friday, but Sunday's Comin' is one the greatest Easter sermons of the 20th century. I've never heard the whole thing, but that line alone is classic.
  • After the service, I discovered that a lot of UPC people have recently been pulled over for speeding. It seems that all of the women either had the ticket reduced or got off with a warning. Can I file a case for sexual discrimination?

    Also, I asked my Monday morning Bible study to pray that God would give me a good illustration for Easter Sunday. They claim that my ticket was an answer to their prayers. If that is the case, I think they should help me pay it.

    Since I used it in a sermon, can I write it off as a business expense? Probably not.
  • I sent out a last-minute call to prayer on Wednesday and received a wonderful response from the congregation. The interplay between prayer and sovereignty is a mystery to me, but I know that God moves when His people pray. A side benefit was that knowing others were praying was an encouragement to me because it confirmed the truth we are all co-laborers in the work of taking the gospel to our community and the world. We truly are in this together.
  • On Sports - Tiger Woods is mortal after all. So is Roger Federer. The Magic are driving me crazy.
  • Joke of the Day - Did you hear that there is a movement to reduce the number of states to 49? After the football and basketball season, it is clear that Florida owns Ohio.
  • Quote of the Day - Speaking of the God who mocks in Psalm 2: "He scoffs at the demons who mock my redemption as though the besetting sins I have yet to shake in thirty years of following Christ could lessen my Father's commitment to see my salvation through. God chortles at the way those same voices try to keep me looking back over my shoulder at the many places I could have--should have--zigged but zagged instead. As if anything could keep him from directing my steps despite whatever inanity goes into how I plan the way (Prov. 16:9)." (Reggie Kidd, With One Voice, pp.45-46).

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger James said...

Great joke of the day!! Hilarious.

I recently got a speeding ticket too. I'm not a woman and it wasn't reduced by the officer. If you file a lawsuit do us all a favor and make it a class action lawsuit.

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a way of encouragement, maybe you'd like to know that your sermons aren't wasted on the little ones.

Chad was telling my neighbor and Vivian how Pastor Mark got a speeding ticket the other day.

He says he's not going to make that mistake.

Thank you Mark. He's not a Calvinist yet, but the good news is I'll be saving lots of money on my insurance.

11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home