Tony Dungy and Traditional Marriage
Have I mentioned that I like Tony Dungy? Just a few times. Tony Dungy, the first African-American to coach in the Superbowl (along with Lovie Smith), the first African-American coach to win the Super Bowl, and a man who seeks to live out his Christian faith in every area of life, was criticized recently because he spoke at a fundraiser for the Indiana Family Institute, an affiliate of Focus on the Family. At the event, Coach Dungy expressed his support for traditional families and a ban on gay marriage.
Even before Dungy showed up to speak, he was under heavy criticism for even attending the event. Now, the chorus of critics has grown stronger, implying that a) he shouldn't express his political views and/or b) he is a homophobic gay hater. In response to this criticism, Coach Dungy said:
"We're not trying to downgrade anyone else. But we're trying to promote the family — family values the Lord's way. IFI is saying what the Lord says. You can take that and make your decision on which way you want to be."
Nothing that Coach Dungy said was hateful or mean-spirited. He simply has a conviction--based on the Bible--that homosexuality is wrong. For this conviction, he is labeled an evil man. I have said before, that unless you say that homosexuality is just as acceptable as heterosexuality, then our culture will accuse you of the great sins of prejudice and bigotry. You will be called a religious extremist, the equivalent of the 9-11 terrorists.
Interestingly, I first heard of Dungy's speech on ESPN radio. The host, Colin Cowherd, is not a religious person and holds a number of views I find objectionable. Yet, even he gave Dungy an admirable defense. His defense was simply this, "If you believe the Bible like Tony Dungy does, and most of you say that you do, then you have to agree with Tony Dungy." He then went on to say that he agreed with Tony Dungy because, "I just happen to believe a kid growing up is better off if his dad's name is Frank and not Heather." Cowherd also noted that other celebrities are praised for sharing their political views while Dungy is being criticized. I guess sharing your political views is only acceptable if you have the "right" political views.
I write all this to say that I think Tony Dungy is a good model for us in how we deal with the politically charged issue of homosexuality. He is man who shows both truth and grace without compromising either. That is exactly what Christ calls us to do as well.
Even before Dungy showed up to speak, he was under heavy criticism for even attending the event. Now, the chorus of critics has grown stronger, implying that a) he shouldn't express his political views and/or b) he is a homophobic gay hater. In response to this criticism, Coach Dungy said:
"We're not trying to downgrade anyone else. But we're trying to promote the family — family values the Lord's way. IFI is saying what the Lord says. You can take that and make your decision on which way you want to be."
Nothing that Coach Dungy said was hateful or mean-spirited. He simply has a conviction--based on the Bible--that homosexuality is wrong. For this conviction, he is labeled an evil man. I have said before, that unless you say that homosexuality is just as acceptable as heterosexuality, then our culture will accuse you of the great sins of prejudice and bigotry. You will be called a religious extremist, the equivalent of the 9-11 terrorists.
Interestingly, I first heard of Dungy's speech on ESPN radio. The host, Colin Cowherd, is not a religious person and holds a number of views I find objectionable. Yet, even he gave Dungy an admirable defense. His defense was simply this, "If you believe the Bible like Tony Dungy does, and most of you say that you do, then you have to agree with Tony Dungy." He then went on to say that he agreed with Tony Dungy because, "I just happen to believe a kid growing up is better off if his dad's name is Frank and not Heather." Cowherd also noted that other celebrities are praised for sharing their political views while Dungy is being criticized. I guess sharing your political views is only acceptable if you have the "right" political views.
I write all this to say that I think Tony Dungy is a good model for us in how we deal with the politically charged issue of homosexuality. He is man who shows both truth and grace without compromising either. That is exactly what Christ calls us to do as well.
Labels: Christian Living, Politics, Sports

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home