Jury Duty

I am at Jury Duty today and it isn't all bad. The room is comfortable with free wireless internet. I have done some of my study for next week's sermon, and enjoyed a bit of study of a book that I have been wanting to read. So, it is turning out to be a productive day after all.
I have already been rejected as a juror in one case during the voir dire process. They called 16 of us back to seat a panel of six. I knew I would not be chosen simply by the question the defense attorney asked me. Here is how it went:
Attorney: "Mr. Bates, I see you are a minister. With your occupation, do you think it is possible for you to be fair?"
Me: "I don't understand the question. What is it about my occupation that would make it seem like I could not be fair?"
Attorney: "Uhh, you know, you are a minister. I assume that you have deep convictions."
So, there you have it. People with convictions can't be fair jurors.
.
Also, while surfing the web, I tried to go to the PCA's website and it was blocked by the county's fire wall. Here is the error message I received:
.
Reason: The Websense category "Traditional Religions" is filtered
.
I am glad to know that our county's internet service is protecting us from dangers on the internet like traditional religions. Can you imagine what might happen if someone accidentally stumbled onto a Baptist site? Meanwhile, I walk by another guy and he was playing online poker. I guess we can't violate his civil rights, can we?
Somehow, I don't think our founding fathers would recognize this place.

3 Comments:
Wow. Why would they block traditional religions? You should try non-traditional religions like Scientology and Raƫlism. How about byFaith magazine?
I thought we had a Justice system not a Fairness system.
Someone needs to tell that defense attorney that life just isn't fair.
WOW on both issues!
I like your response to the attorney when he first asked you the question.
And as for the second issue...did it really block you from looking up a site about PCA? That is incredible!
Post a Comment
<< Home