Why The Da Vinci Code Sells
The Da Vinci Code has sold over 60 million copies and been translated into 44 different languages. Those figures are staggering. While total sales of books are difficult to determine, many believe this is the bestselling fiction written for adults of all time.
About a year ago, I read the book. I thought it was interesting. It has mystery, intrigue, romance, drama, and conspiracy. Throw in a few Nancy Drew-like clues that readers can try to figure out, and it is a fun read. However, there are many books that are a fun read, many of which are better written. So, why does this book continue to dominate the bestseller lists while other books come and go?
If I believed in demonic conspiracies, then I might be tempted to think that The Da Vinci Code is the work of some satanic plot to destroy the church. The truth is, that could be part of the equation. Call me a whacko fundamentalist conspiricist, but I do believe that much of what we see take place on the earthly stage is the outworking of a great spiritual conflict. I have no doubt that Satan is at work in The Da Vinci Code just as I believe he is at work in the oppression of Christians through tyrannical regimes throughout the world. However, I don't think the book's success is due to some demonic spell or that its author is the antichrist or anything of the sort. I think the success of the book can be attributed to far less sinister realities.
Here is why I think the book is so successful.
1. People love conspiracies and the idea that the whole Christian faith is part of some grand sinister plot for the church and religious to achieve power is the greatest conspiracy of them all. In comparison, this conspiracy makes The Manchurian Candidate seem like Sponge Bob episode.
2. Closely related to point 1 is that fallen humans will cling to anything, no matter how farfetched and fanciful, rather than submit to the truth about God. That is the point of Romans 1. Unless the Holy Spirit works in a person's heart, that person will supress the truth in unrighteousness. Dan Brown has written for some what appears to be a compelling excuse to reject Christianity.
3. People love to find dirt on leaders, public figures, and institutions. Gossip sells. Tabloids sell. Reading The Da Vinci Code is like reading The National Inquirer with the whole church and all of western history on the cover caught in a compromising pose. The exploits of Brad and Jennifer are snoozers compared to this exposé.
4. People like to learn while they read stories. This, I believe, is one of the most interesting reasons for its success. In an article entitled "Da Vinci Code's Last Secret: How Did It Succeed?", Arthur Spiegelman says:
They say his was a formula that mixed clumsy, forgettable sentences with breakneck pacing, lectures on art, history and religion, sinister
conspiracies, evil villains, puzzles and cliffhanger chapter endings to
produce literary gold.While some like novelist Salman Rushdie called the book "typewriting" and others, like critic Laura Miller, called it "cheesy," book industry professionals refuse to sneer, saying this was far from a case of good things happening to a bad book.
There is a lesson in this. People want to learn, but they want to learn in stories. Modern (or, postmodern, if you prefer) people are not going to read linear text and gather the facts. They prefer to learn in narratives, in stories.It was instead a case, they said, of all a reader's wants appearing to be conveniently located in a single book, especially the desire to learn something.
One might argue that what the reader learns from Dan Brown is wrong. After all, he makes errors in just about every discipline--art, history, and theology. But that is beside the point. The point is, people want to learn and they are going to do it in the context of story.
The challenge for us as Christians is to get the true story out. I am a linear thinker, but if we are going to communicate effectively with our contemporary culture, then we must learn to cast the truth in stories. Noted author Eugene Peterson has written a great deal on the power and subversiveness of stories. I think he is right. Just ask Dan Brown.
Thank you, James Sutton, for your editorial comments!

4 Comments:
In scanning over your most recent post, Mark, I've made an amazing discovery.
I call it: "The Bates Code"!
I picked up on it when I noticed what appeared at first glance to be errors in your post. (You numbered your list 1,2,2,3 and you use the word "write" instead of "right" in the second to last sentance of your post.)
Since your post is calling us to consider the errors of Dan Brown this caught my attention as initially just being ironic. However, upon closer examination, I realized that these were not errors! Rather ... these were clues! Clues meant to point out the errors of Dan Brown more clearly!
Using my various powers of deductive reasoning (I don't have many of these, so I was maxed out on this for about 45 minutes) I believe that I've cracked the "Bates Code". Observe:
If you had numbered your list correctly there would've been four things on your list. Therefore I conclude that there are four words in the secret message you're trying to send us. But not only is that a key, it is also the first word! (Very clever, Mark!)
The first word in your secret message then is "four", with three more words to go.
Because you've also created something of a chaism in 1 2 2 3, my attention is naturally drawn to the number 2. The number 22 also is a double figure which alerts me to the fact that the next clue will be some kind of double-clue.
The second word, therefore, in your secret message is "two". So "four two", and we scan your post for our next clue which we know based on your last clue (I like the way you've made it so that each clue leads to the next one) in some way will be a double clue.
The final double clue shows up in what at first glance appears to be a misuse of the word "write" in the last line of your post. The correct use would be "right", but again this was not a mistake on your part. It is a clue left to those of us with code-breaking eyes.
The final word therefore being "write".
So we have "Four two write." Which doesn't really make any sense ... yet.
BUT the second part of the double clue is the fact that it's a homonym. Since all three words have homonyms, I can only conclude that you want us to do that with the entire secret message adding the hoymonym of write onto the end to complete the fourth word!
Therefore your secret message is clearly "For to write right!"
That's pretty deep, Mark.
But wait ... there's more!!
If I take your name, "Mark" and the two numbers that are so clearly marked (no pun intended) in your post I come up with a scripture reference: Mark 4:22.
Mark 4:22 says, "For whatever is hidden is meant to be disclosed, and whatever is concealed is meant to be brought out into the open."
I'm overwhelmed by the genius of this post!!
Da Vinci ain't got nothin' on you!
Rinnie,
Thanks for your comments. Unlike James, you have a life.
Seriously, I appreciate your comment on stories. As you mention, Jesus told stories. Not only that, but the Gospels are stories. So is the book of Acts and most of the Old Testament.
James,
This proves two things: 1) I need someone to proof all of my work and 2) you have way, way too much time on your hands.
Because I am wound too tightly, I now am going to go back and correct those errors and everyone will wonder what in the world you are talking about.
Mark,
Hehehe. I love you man. I can't believe you changed your post, though! I thought those "mistakes" were brilliant!
As for this silly accusation that I have too much time on my hands -- uh, okay maybe! But that's the point. Dan Brown has too much time on his hands if he can come to the conclusion that Jesus had a wife and children based on paintings and Gnostic texts.
Incidentally, isn't it funny that he uses GNOSTIC texts to argue for the humanity of Jesus? That cracks me up. I doubt the Gnostics would've approved of that.
I think part of it is the fact that the Da Vinci Code is a good story but I think it's more the mystery that attracts people to it. It's the cliff hangers and the fact that you don't know what's going to happen next, but there's also this sense that the truth is going to be some startling revelation that will have a dramatic effect on all our lives.
Think about our most popular TV shows -- CSI, Lost, maybe 24? (although I've never seen 24, if I watched 24 in addition to watching Lost I wouldn't have time to come up with good conspiracy theories related to your blog posts!) These are stories but they're all about conspiracy and mystery. They build this tension so tight that by the end ... you really want to learn whatever is necessary to find the answer.
I've found that's been something that I've had to do as a teacher. Once I make the questions into a mystery or a riddle for my students they're willing to do anything (including listen to me ramble for hours on end) becuase they'll do anything to solve a puzzle.
I'm not sure that we can make our faith (or the presentation of it)in to an international treasure hunt puzzle game for people to solve -- but there is quite a bit of mystery to the gospel.
How is this Jesus both man and God at the same time? How is it that there never wasn't a God? Why should the prince of the Universe suffer and die for lowly sinners?
I think maybe this is why Left Behind is so popular too. I'm not endorsing Left Behind, mind you, but it hits hard on one of the big mysteries of the Christian faith. When is Jesus coming back and what will that be like?
Okay -- I'll shut up. I think I've done a good job proving your point about me not having a life.
Post a Comment
<< Home